Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Who's Kids Are They Anyway?

Mama’s


Ok, after blog spot ate one of the posts I worked the hardest on, I took a break from blogging and regained my focus. This weeks prompts are all very good, but I chose to write about the first one because, ironically enough everyone I know at the local Walmart are all experts on raising children. Ok, before I start rambling and get everyone lost, here are this weeks promts from http://www.mamakatslosinit.com/mama-kat/ I highly recommend checking it out! Anyways, once again I am rambling. I promise that here in a sec, I will get to the point. Anyhow, this weeks prompts are as follows....


1.) List 10 things you wish you could say to strangers who share unsolicited advice about your parenting skills.
2.) Write a poem inspired by a picture you took last week. Share both!
3.) Create a bucket list of 50 things you want to do this summer (with or without the kids!)
4.) A country you would like to visit.
5.) What is something you could stand to learn from your significant other?
Bonus Vlog Option!

6.) Getting kids dressed? Cooking dinner? Bed time? Create a video that describes the most difficult part of the day for you.


Ok, onto the actual writing (not rambling) part of things.

10 Things that you wish you could say to strangers

Since I started bass ackwards, I am going to keep going that way.

10.)
On the comment "Are you really going to feed your kids those tv dinners? Aren't you going to cook a homemade meal?"

My response "Is that your offer to come and cook dinner for my family?"

9.)
On the comment "Your child is so well behaved. Is she always this good?"

Well, that at least started the right way, but my response to that is "No, she is acting very good because I took away her TV, DVD player, and every privilege till she is twelve years old three isles ago."

8.)
On the comment "Are you worried your son might turn gay because of his pink blanket."

Now, this would seem like a very stupid question to ask, but I have been asked it SEVERAL times. The blankie in question is his sisters pink Belle blanket that I made for my daughter that he "borrowed" a few years ago. My response "No, I am not worried, but if he does turn out gay all I ask is that he gets married Hawaii so that we can have a wedding there." Seriously does ANY 5 year old turn gay from playing with a pink blanket.

7.)
One the comment "Your kids look like they have a hard time getting along. How do you separate them?"

Seriously, They are at the age that breathing at each other is a capitol offense. I let them try to work it out themselves, and if they go beyond the usual brother/sister stuff, I have a few empty walls for timeouts. So, my comment "I am so sorry, when did they change the referee design on your shirt?"

6.)
This one is generally from the older generations "If you beat your kids butt more often, then they would mind you better"

While I am a FIRM believer that to spare the rod spoils the child, I also respect that beatings are not good for children. I believe that discipline should be considered to fit the offense. My response to this "I remember my beatings and they didn't do a bit of good. I was still a brat to my Mom"

5.)
Comment for others (mostly the school) "Have you concidered that your child might be ADHD or have other ADD related issues since the reading grades are not that good?"

Response from me "I am not drugging my kid to make your job easier. You are paid to teach my kid and I think the school should provide more recess time. I can't focus for 8 hours I don't expect my 5 year old to either?"

4.)
Comment "Your kids drive me crazy!"

This one is sometimes really hard to reign my temper in on. I know that most time it is harder to deal with other peoples children than your own, however it is sometimes hard to find a "diplomatic" solution so my response "Can't wait till you have your own so I can tell you the same thing" or "So do yours" or "That is not a long drive even on the best of days"

3.)
Comment "Your kids clothes are mismatched. Couldn't you have helped her get dressed properly"

My response to that one. "I did help her get dressed. She is fully covered isn't she."

2.)
This one is normally from family or friends with slightly older childre. Comment "Why won't you let your kids watch PG-13 movies? There is nothing wrong with them!"

I cannot say to much on this seeing as when I was 5 years old my Dad took me to see the movie "Gremlins" in the theater. However, with how desensitized our society is becoming, I choose to shield them as long as I can. Most will respect this one though. My response "If you want to stay up with them every night for the next few weeks while they have night terrors... go for it. Otherwise, my kids my choice"

The #1 comment and the one that drives me BANANAS....

1.)
Comment "You are doing it all wrong! You need to prove to them who is boss and make all the decisions in the house."

I try to give the kids options and choices and encourage them to make the right choices. I still make all the final decisions, but why are they not allowed to voice an opinion or desire?
so, my final response and my favorite one...."Glad you feel that way, but I am the one raising them. MY KIDS! MY CHOICE!"

I love meeting new people and showing the kids the better side of everything. It is ultimately annoying when someone I don't even know is criticizing a situation that they are not even a part of. When it comes to my family, there are no questions..good or bad they are MY KIDS. They are my life and unconditionally loved.

1 comment: