Thursday, April 14, 2011

The Best Drug

Now I have come to find out I have a few issues and my issues seem to have become subscriptions. The first of which is that I have a few minor addictions.

The 1st addiction: CAFFINE!!!
Need I say more? I cannot drink coffee (I tend to buzz in place) but my drug of choice is coca cola. Beautiful, sweet nectar of life that makes 6:30am livable. Cool and refreshing way to keep going at 9:00am when you need to keep going. Sweet and fizzy at lunch time perfect drink for any dish you want and again at 3pm when desperately want a nap. Then for dinner when you are buzzing from the other drinks and need to keep going, not really wanting it, but NEEDING it...then just as you think NO MORE NO MORE... you have to have the last one at 10pm cause you need to be able to stay awake longer than the kids at 11:30pm...I am trying to cut down to 2 a day but be forewarned if you see on the news that Hell has frozen completely over, I have fully kicked this habit.

The 2nd addiction: Books
I LOVE the written worlds that talented authors are able to weave. I love being able to slip away from reality and fully explore new worlds and times gone by. Nothing that requires immediate attention and can be picked up and put down at your leisure. Normally a book wouldn't be an addiction, but right when bedtime approaches and you have spent several hours in your favorite story, the addiction monster kicks in.... you CANNOT go to sleep w/o knowing what happens next! Why can't the book be put down? If the plot is well known and the characters are people you know and can relate to it should be sooo much easier to put down the book right.

and the 3rd and final addiction: Friendship
This is the most potent addiction of all. Anytime I need to talk Paulette has always been there. When I was at my most miserable down in the dumps beyond all hope sad she flew across town (I would say drive, but her car almost beat the speed of sound) to take me out of the house where we could talk privately and I could get over my anxiety attack. We are such good friends that we take anything that sounds negative with a grain of salt and still laugh at how we meet so many (very undisclosed) years ago and all our antics we have played over the years.

My friend Connor and I have also been friends for eons and get along very well as well. We hang out, watch TV, chat about all sorts of things both common and very weird. Nothing is sacred and almost everything said is some form of verbal banter. Right now till he starts his new Mon - Fri job (which he is BEYOND) happy about, we hang out on Tuesdays. We go check out piercing jewelry and planning our next tattoos. He went with me when I got the one on my wrist.

Brandye and I have been friends awhile and are building a strong friendship. We knew each other in high school, but after I graduated and married I took off for Fort Hood and kinda did my own thing. We now get together regularly and do girly things together. I keep telling her I am going to corrupt her since my sense of humor is ummm... well different. We got together one night when she was doing a bake sale at her job and stayed up super late to make awesome tie dye cupcakes and brownies. Since she works alot and her free Sundays are spent with Connor, I try very hard to visit when our schedules allow it.

I have a friend who I recently rediscovered thanks to facebook. Tommy and I were friends back in high school when he was dating my BFF at the time Julie. They were kinda in the middle of a dispute and I was asked to mediate. They eventually broke up and Tommy and I started hanging out together. When I met Patrick and started planning my wedding he was always there to help out. He is one of the most gentle people that I know. On my wedding day, he took a cab all the way across town to see my wedding. What was funny was Julie caught the bouquet and Tommy caught the garter. Within no time flat both of them where married (though to someone else) and both have beautiful families.

Now to the person I have known the longest, though back in PreK he might have wished different cause I was kicking his tail several days a week (yes sadly I was a mini bully back then) There was some respite for him though since I spent several years in different schools. Over the years even though we bicker and fight we are still very good friends. In fact, the arguing is almost a sport.

Any and every time available I get, I try to see, talk to, or hang out with my friends. When Paulette calls I laughingly tell her I need my "fix" and if we don't talk for a day or two I start going through withdrawls! Since I am trying to kick most of the caffine habit, I need a new stronger one. So this morning as I sluggishly chatting with Paulette (My brain stinks uncaffinated- which BTW explains this blog)and I was telling her that I needed my "bff fix" before my super busy day. That is when it hit me...Out of all my addictions my friends are the biggest and strongest of them.

So here we are at the end of this and I realize how truely blessed I am that every person I have mentioned I have been friends with for at LEAST 10 years. Oh well... so much for the 12 step program I will just have to happily live with these addictions :)

2 comments:

  1. You did it! You went and made me cry! You beast! How dare you make your BFF cry! Granted they're tears of happiness and warmth but still...Aw heck, I Love You Babe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL It is a addiction I have no issue wallowing in!

    ReplyDelete