Friday, April 29, 2011

Writers Workshop ~ Mother Nature is a HAG!

I have watched my BFF Paulette do the writers workshop for a little while, and while I will most likely never do a vlog (I am anti camera) I thought I would try a writing prompt and see where it takes me.

Todays prompts are:
1.) Describe a time you spoke up for someone who couldn’t speak up for themselves.
2.) The Royal Wedding…ten gift ideas.
3.) What is going on in the bedroom? Describe a memorable sleeper.
4.) Photo Story: Take a walk through your neighborhood this week and share some pictures of what Spring looks like where you live.
5.) Something embarrassing that happened at school.

While I thought that doing the Royal Wedding gift ideas would be fun, I suddenly remembered a horridly embarrassing thing that happened at school in the 5th grade. This was back in the late 80s, and I think that there may be a few who have had similar experiences.

I was cursed with getting my period when I was just 9 years old. I was just starting 4th grade when it started. This was not much of an issue, Mom had taught me all about how the body changed and was forever telling me that knowledge was important and that if I knew it was coming I wouldn't wig out when it happened. So, I was perfectly ok with what was going on till I entered 5th grade.

In Texas, there was no sex ed or anything like it till 9th grade, so when we moved to Virginia (kids never had voting rights back then)sex ed started in the 5th grade. So, when I was transplanted there, it was a HUGE adjustment.

Anyhow, we were starting to learn about how the female body changes and then came the question... "Has anyone in the class started their menstrual cycle yet?" Stupidly I raised my hand and oh gee I was the ONLY one. The teacher asked if I wanted to answer any of the classmates questions and once agian, I stupidly said yes.

So after answering a million questions, class was over and it was time to go. Well, this was when white pants were the major rage and I had several pairs, and that day I was wearing my fav pair. As we were walking out of the classroom, the teacher snagged me and told me to see the nurse but not told why.

As I was walking across the school, I was curious about the snickering and pointing, but no one ever told me what was going on. I was very much picked on because I had a very deep accent and was very well endowed for my age (everything is bigger in Texas dontcha know) and it was believed that everyone in Texas has an oil field and that we were all filthy rich. Wish that were true, but...

Anyhow enough rambling. I got to the nurses office, and apparently the teacher had paged the nurse and told her why I was on my way. Apparently, during the class that hag Mother Nature rolled on in and I was wearing WHITE pants. So, I was a gross red mess and suddenly it all clicked into place about why I was being laughed at.

The nurse cut me a pass to walk home, and nicely sent someone to my locker to grab that extra sweater, and let me walk the 1 1/2 miles home. That wasn't near as bad as what happened the next few weeks. The cracks about what had happened was ALL over school and there was no end to it till Summer time. I was never so happy to see the end of the school year.

1 comment:

  1. Cruel, cruel, cruel :) So glad that you can look back and smile!

    Visiting from Mama Kats :)

    ReplyDelete